Monday, April 4, 2011

WORLD CONTAMINATION TOUR

Alright, I'm going to write this while my ears are still ringing! And I have to admit, this post will be just a tad biased considering how the both of us are epic fans of these bands!!! We bought tickets for this (sold-out) show months ago and waiting nearly killed us. But when it finally came around, it didn't disappoint.

But before we get into band info and photos, a quick note on the venue. This concert took place at the Center for Performing Arts in Vancouver and yet I felt like I was in kindergarten all over again. Security made us stay in our seats (so we couldn't attack the bands I'm supposing) and they were super strict about it. Concerts are ten times more fun when you're in a huge mass at the front, so I'll confess, it was a disappointment to have to stay in my seat (23 rows away from the action). But once the music started, location didn't really matter.

Architects
The first openers for the World Contamination Tour are a "punk/rock/soul" band from Missouri. The band is made up of brothers Brandon Phillips (vocals and guitar), Zach Phillips (bass and vocals) and Adam Phillips (drums) and are joined by Keenan Nichols (lead guitar) to make up a four piece band. I encourage you to check out their MySpace account and check out their music!!


Well, The Architects had the unfortunate task of making everyone stand up out of their seats, which the crowd last night seemed reluctant to do. But once we all stood the singer commented "There, now don't you feel less awkward?" and I did. Once we were all on our feet people started dancing around and the energy shift in that room was noticeable to all.










At the end of their set, lead guitarist Keenan Nichols showed us the back of his guitar and it said "Thank you". So polite ;)

Next up...

Neon Trees
Neon Trees formed in Utah in 2005 by Tyler Glenn and his neighbour Chris Allen (guitar). Branden Campbell (bass and vocals) and Elaine Bradley (drums) joined the band shortly after. The band was well-known in Utah but they didn't get their big break until 2008, when they were chosen to open for The Killers on their North American tour that year. Shortly after, Neon Trees was signed byMercury Records and they released their first full-length album,Habits, about a year ago. Since then, their single Animal has been in ads all over the place and even made an appearance on Glee!

You can check out the music videos for Animal, In The Next Room and 1983, all of which were performed last night!

Now we've heard that Tyler Glenn was sick last night for this show, but you wouldn't have guessed that from his performance last night, consisting not only of breathtaking vocals, but also his crazy dance moves! The band opened with Sins of my Youth (a personal favourite) and kept the crowd on their feet throughout their set. At various points, Tyler asked us to sing along, but we didn't really need to be asked! When the band played Animal as one of their last songs, everyone sang (and danced) along!!









Looks like Tyler has traded in his pleather pants for these ripped ones ;)








Some of these are a tad blurry, but we had to showcase his dance moves...





"Where are all my maniacs?" About 50 people (including myself) raised their hands making Tyler's signature claws ;)















We both bought matching Neon Trees shirts too!!! Which we both plan to wear on Monday :)

After Neon Trees left the stage, the crowd was left waiting again and this time we weren't as patient. Some people managed to orchestrate a wave across...well...the orchestra section. And the crowd broke out in a chant of "MCR! MCR!". So when My Chem finally took the stage, the crowd was already on their feet and ready to MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

My Chemical Romance
My Chemical Romance is a band from New Jersey now consisting of Gerard Way (vocals), Mikey Way (bass), Ray Toro (guitar, vocals), Frank Iero (guitar, vocals, killer head-banger) and, their newest member, Michael Pedicone (drummer). The band originally formed shortly after 9/11 because Gerard was inspired by the tragedy to follow his dream of becoming a rock star! The World Contamination Tour is promoting their newest album, the long-awaited, Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys! This is the band's fourth album and they also had their song Sing featured on Glee, which speaks to the new tone this album took after such albums as The Black Parade.


When the band came on stage as Look Alive, Sunshine played in the background, I'm guessing half the screams were for the show and half were for the band itself, you know, Gerard with his red hair and Mikey with his "Art is the Weapon" shirt, Ray and Frank taking up the sides of the stage (given lots of space to rock out!) and the wild drummer Michael. MCR opened, of course, with NaNaNa!!! The screams were deafening and the head-banging was potentially fatal, meaning, of course, that it was a really kick-ass show ;) The band played a mix of older songs with those from Danger Days and it seemed like most of the people knew all the old songs too! ( The girl next to me (name unknown) and I belted out every word to every song!!) Gerard took us on a ride through Planetary (GO!) to Hang 'em High and around with Helena, getting a little bit of the vibe from each album's story. We sang together, we danced together, we screamed until our throats were sore together, but most importantly, last night, we went through feelings together. The energy this created had everyone feeling the strong sense of community within the MCRmy! I usually dance at concerts but never have I gone this wild! It was My Chemical Romance after all and I still can't believe I was there!!! When Vampire Money came on, we were all excited to hear everyone's voice (Mikey's "fuckin' ready") with the exception of Pedicone :(

Fade in....













Aww Gerard and Mikeeyyy <3 This is a good picture of Gerard :) I'm loving the red hair!


Ray!!! It looks like his hair is moving ;) With Michael P. in the back!

I'm surprised we were even able to get a picture of Frankie standing still. He seemed a little subdued :/ but he did start moving around at some points :)

So many hands in the air...all trying to get a little closer to Gerard...










He kept raising his hands in the air and wiggling his fingers... The crowd soon copied him.





















EXTERMINATE.

Gerard...so clear...so amazingly attractive...

















I was so excited to hear them play some of their older songs:

Helena: I screamed so much during this one. Such a beautiful song..and the inspiration for my Halloween costume one year ;)


Welcome to the Black Parade: I wasn't expecting this one since the Black Parade is supposedly dead, but last night, the boys proved themselves wrong on this one. The Black Parade is alive and well (and here...accompanied by a ton of screaming!)


Destroya: Sadly, beforehand, I made a bet with someone that they wouldn't perform Destroya, which is why you can hear me swear at the beginning of the vid (sorry about that guys :s ), and I owe them 50$ but hey, I got to hear Destroya (with all of Gerard's, shall we say..sound effects?) ;)


The encore consisted of one song, Bulletproof Heart, not the expected Cancer, making for a short set. But definitely one worth witnessing!!


When the night ended, hundreds of fans rushed outside to catch a glimpse of the bands! Sadly, most of them were rushed to the buses and not spotted :( but we did get to see Ray Toro! We also shot this video of Mikey Way!!!!!!!!!!


And Frank, nice guy that he is, stuck around for autographs :)





AND I got Frank Iero's autograph (and touched his hand when he handed it to me hehehe)!


So, I guess those are the words that will sum up one of the best nights of my life! These bands are all so important to me. My Chemical Romance has been there for me for years and to be in the same room as them, screaming out the songs that got me through it all, was an amazing experience that I hope to never forget. And sorry for the epic fan-girling in here but like I said this is a concert I've been waiting for for years!

Leave us a comment if you were there last night!!! And you can always email us photos or your own reviews for shows! Check out our Contact Us page for more info. And don't forget: KILLJOYS, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment